The Shaping Academy
The Shaping Academy is where you can learn traditional hand shaping technique and methods from Bryan Bates.
It is designed for clients who have a serious interest in shaping surfboards.The two-day course is focused on showing you a method and system, breaking down all the design elements of a surfboard so they can be more easily understood.
This technique was taught to Bryan 20 years ago by his mentors and originates generations ago in Hawaii. You'll gain an order and understanding to your shaping so you can build on each board to become more accurate and tuned into the fine details.
You will be shown how to use a classic Skil 100 planer from the 60's and work from a blank, the old school way. Bryan has developed a 13 chapter book to go along with the course and he will be shaping a board alongside you, so you can see each step of the process demonstrated along the way.
It's a wonderful experience, and you'll never look at surfboards in the same way again.
Bryan Bates Shaping Academy is not designed for those just wanting to have a go. A serious mindset about shaping surfboards is requisite. Prior experience is not necessary but would help you to get the most from the course.
Here's how it works
• Decide what type of shape and length of board you would like to shape.
• Book a two-day course by contacting Bryan and paying a $500 deposit.
• Price for the course is $150 per foot, remainder after deposit is payable when the course is done.
• Price does NOT include glassing. We can help make arrangements for that for you. Average price is $400
• Bryan can accommodate groups of up to four people